Thursday, March 6, 2008

A gift from Me to You

If you have been a mother for any length of time, you (and this is virtually 100% guaranteed) have felt like a crappy mother. No one knows as well as you your failings, mistakes, and do-over moments (though the kids may think they do).

Well, ladies. This is a moment for you. Anytime you need a pick-me-up-see-I'm-not-that-bad-moment, here's one ready made and in black and white.

Read on:
"[We were ready to leave the Ikea parking lot when] this chick pulls up next to us. I was busy putting the boys in their carseats when I hear this lady talking to Greg. I could hardly believe what she was saying. She asked Greg if he was in a hurry. I am sure Greg thought what I thought..she needs help loading something in her car...which was just fine because he does have awesome muscles..(at least thats what I hear him telling himself every morning in the mirror!) Oh, no..just wait. Greg said he had about ten minutes before he needed to leave for an appointment. She proceeded to tell Greg that her CHILDREN had fallen asleep in the car and was wondering if he would watch them while she shopped. That was about when my jaw hit the freaking pavement. I should have gone over and questioned her right then and there but I was in shock.. instead I told Greg he didn't have time. But, Greg is way way WAY too nice. He said, well, I have ten minutes but that is it. She said, "oh, well, how long are the lines? I'm not sure I can be that quick." Greg told her they weren't to bad and there she went. She ran off into the store. She didn't ask us our names or anything. So here we sat in the IKEA parking lot watching some lazy unfit parent go into shop while we watched her children. No joke. Poor kids. When she ran off I seriously said some choice words and then in typical "Becky Fashion" I started looking around smiling and wondering where that camera was. Was I being punked and if I am, I just said a potty word. I couldn't help myself. What kind of mom leaves her children with complete strangers? I know we are in Utah and I know Greg and I look like "upstanding citizens"..okay maybe just Greg does because she didn't ask me...but say we decided to take the kids..or even better..ditch the kids because we waited so long. I couldn't get over it. Greg thought it would be funny if we just moved the car so when she got back she freaked out....oh funny until you get arrested Greg for kidnapping!!!!! That would be a real knee slapper. Anyways we waited and she came back about ten mintues later and just said thanks and hopped into her car."

There you have it, if you've never done that, you are ahead of at least one person in this world. If that doesn't reassure you about yourself, I don't know what it's gonna take. (Of course, there are so many other angles you could take about this story, but none of them fit my purpose, so it can wait for your comments!)

Have a Great Day, and Happy Parenting!

5 comments:

Sally said...

Oh My goodness!!! Yep, I feel way good about myself!! What a story!!

Brooke said...

It is the season to feel like a lousy parent at my house...atleast my kids think so :)
I love the new look...I need you to tutor me!

Alissa said...

Uh... wow. I only do that in the Wal-mart parking lot with those youngish looking guys with the really tight pants who are smoking outside. They come across as a little more responsible. One time my CD player and personal information went missing, but the kids were O.K. so I guess it's all good, right? Tee hee. Thanks for the lift! (BTW, I'm really kidding so please don't report me to child services! :0)

V and Co. said...

nice, i'm a stellar parent!

Tammy said...

That is unbelieveable! I can't believe someone would do that. And who cares if you are in Utah! You could see a CTR ring and still have your kids kidnapped! How lame is it to go shopping at IKEA for only 10 minutes anyways! Lame-o lady. That definitely helps me feel better!