Tuesday, January 29, 2008

An Attempt



I was happy when I first heard the news, but later hit at some point, and it was a different emotion altogether. I have tried to write something about the passing of the Prophet repeatedly. As you can tell by my prolific blogging and the constant maudlin blathering, I've gone overboard. (Sarcasm in writing doesn't always translate. DIdn't know til now.)

It's gotten to where I'm verbally constipated in other areas of my life as well. I think the problem stems from the inadequacy which any words of mine have in expressing my feelings about it. Particularly as there are so many other ones floating around in cyberspace, some so well written I want to plagiarize their words as representation of my own sentiments. Even now, determined as I am to say something, anything, my fingers wander away of their own accord in this unworthy side-note slash excuse for my absence.

Did I mention I attempted to go to the viewing? Again, I attempted, while Leroy succeeded. Why? At any rate, I made my northern pilgrimage in a vain attempt (here's that word again) at I-don't-know-what. All I know, is when we arrived, the conference center more resembled an army of ants at a leftover picnic than the sparse lines of solemn mourners I had imagined. Maybe hoped for.

When we were told (by Jamie, from our last ward) that it was a good 5 hour wait, hope, which I didn't realize I had, adjourned. I felt like a child who's favorite toy has been taken over by that alien, and no good, other child and I have no way of knowing that I'll get it back. Not that the prophet is my personal toy. At any rate, as we stood on the street corner waiting for the light to change, my biggest urge was to wail. Sound melodramatic? Since I didn't want to scare the kids, or my companion street crossers, I suppressed the urge. No strait jackets for me today.

Eventually, i managed to swallow the knob of sadness and even enjoyed the rest of the evening surrounded by the other thwarted mourners as well as the wax figures of past Prophets, afterwards eating banana pie with Miss and Bubs. Much like any other Friday night.

Here I sit, mostly happy, generally consumed with everyday living. But every now and then, I am momentarily sad again. That is, until I remember that he has had a happy reunion with a dearly missed eternal companion, lived a life of no regrets, and is free from a sick and tired 97 year old body. ANd, that Thomas S. Monson will not just attempt, but succeed in being a great Prophet.

I leave you with another's sentiments anyway. My words alone were not enough. Maybe his will be.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I really enjoyed listening to Glen Beck's tribute too. I didn't even know who he was :), but still enjoyed it.

I hope you realize what an amazing writer you are. If you don't then you will when I finally figure out how to link my blog to my name when I comment and you read mine :)

Bonnie said...

Traci, this is a beautiful tribute. It was a bittersweet experience for most of us. I have always said we would be there in that line of mourners when the time came but there was no earthly way of even getting to Utah that week. Bryant Hinckley the prophet's father is the great great grandfather of our Laura's kids..Ross and Spencer. Robert's grandmother was President Hinckley's youngest sister. So I know President Hinckley was extremely close to his parents so he had a great reunion with many. I like to think of the joy he had in meeting Joseph, and Brigham, etc. Jen was right up the street at Children's so she was unable to go to the viewing also. I think he is perhaps the greatest contributor to the common good that has lived during my lifetime. We will all surely miss him. Glad you are back to your blog..keep those post coming!

Jen Stewart said...

Hey welcome back to the blog! Long time no type huh?

I love your Prez HInckley photo, it's a good one.

He will be missed!

Tanya Quinn said...

It's so fun to enlarge my blogging circle. I'm so glad to have your blog to go to as well!

Alissa said...

You know, I had a really similar experience, even down to the pie. Crazy. You really do a great job of showing your love for our dear prophet. You're wonderful Traci. Hope you know that and if you don't, hope you'll admit to it at least for now! :] Talk to you later...

Tammy said...

such a sad day! But I love Glenn Beck's tribute. It is really touching. A softer side of him you don't often see also. I wish there was a way that good people never had to die, but we have a great prophet in his place. I can't wait to see the legacy that President Monson will leave for us to remember him!